Blueberry Scones with Lemon Glaze
By Chef John Placko
- 3 bags Higgins & Burke Naturals™ Blueberry tea
- 1 cup (250 mL) 35% cream (whipping cream)
- 2 1/4 cups (550 mL) all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted butter, cold, cut into chunks
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh blueberries (or use frozen, do not thaw)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- 3/4 cup (170 mL) confectioners (icing) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) lemon zest
Makes 10 scones
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- Preheat oven to 400⁰F (200⁰C).
- Add contents of tea bags into cold cream and allow to steep for 10 minutes.
- Sift together the dry ingredients; the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar.
- Crumble butter into the flour with your fingertips until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add cream and fold together just until incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Fold the blueberries into the mix.
- Press the dough out on a lightly floured surface to form a round flat shape, 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick.
- Cut round scones using a 3 inch (7.5 cm) cookie cutter. Gather remaining dough and repeat until all used up.
- Place scones on ungreased cookie sheet & bake for 18-20 minutes. Set aside on cooling rack.
- Mix the lemon juice and confectioners’ sugar until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the lemon zest.
- Whisk the glaze until smooth. Spread over scones.