Coconut Honey Cous Cous Salad
By Chef John Placko
- 2 Higgins & Burke Naturals™ Tropical Honey Coconut tea bags.
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) Boiled water
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) Couscous
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Coconut oil
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Chopped onion
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Ginger, grated
- 1 Carrot, cut into fine strips (julienne)
- 1 small Jalapeño chili, chopped
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) Black pepper, ground
- 1/4 cup (75 mL) Canola oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Fresh lemon juice.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Honey
- 1/4 cup (75 mL) Coconut, unsweetened and desiccated
- 1/4 cup (75 mL) Currants (or raisins)
- 16 Mint leaves, cut into fine strips (julienne)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 tbsp Coconut, unsweetened and desiccated
- 2 Mint sprigs
Makes 5 cups/portions
Prep time: 25 minutes + 30 minutes to cool.
Cook time: 5 minutes
- Steep tea bags in boiled water for 5 minutes. Remove the bags and squeeze to extract all the flavour.
- Place couscous in a bowl and pour on the hot tea. Leave for 5 minutes, uncovered. Mix with a fork.
- Heat coconut oil in a fry pan and add the onion, ginger, garlic and carrot. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and mix the contents of the frypan into the couscous.
- Season mix with salt and pepper then drizzle on the canola oil, honey and lemon juice.
- When the mix is cool, mix in the coconut, currants, mint and almonds. Mix well.
- Serve cold garnished with mint springs, coconut and sliced almonds.