Earl Grey Lemon Squares
By Chef John Placko
Makes 16 squares/portions
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
- Line 8″ square pan with foil, ensuring it goes 1/2” up the sides.
- Combine flour, sugar, tea and salt.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender until the mix resembles a sandy texture.
- Press into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 375°F (190°C) for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove the crust from the oven.
- Steep tea in hot lemon juice for 10 minutes.
- Combine sugar, flour, baking powder together in a bowl.
- Add lemon rind and eggs. Whisk until combined and smooth.
- Squeeze the tea bag soaking in lemon juice. Discard bag.
- Add the tea/lemon zest mixture to the sugar mixture. Whisk until combined.
Pour filling into the baked pastry shell.
Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 20 minutes or until set.
Remove from oven and cool in the pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes.
Remove from pan by lifting the foil. Remove foil and cut into 16 squares. Sprinkle with icing sugar, if desired.