Lemon Tea Cookies
By Chef John Placko
- 4 bags Higgins & Burke Naturals™ Sweet Lemon Zest tea, contents ground into a powder (with coffee grinder or mortar and pestle)
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- Pinch salt
- ½ tsp (2 mL) baking powder
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) sugar
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon zest
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- 3/4 cup (250 mL) confectioners (icing) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) lemon zest
Makes 35-40 cookies
Prep time: 20 minutes + 60 minutes freezing
Cook time: 20 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC).
- Mix together tea, flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl.
- Cream butter, sugar and lemon zest together in a bowl with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Add egg and mix until combined.
- Add the creamed butter/sugar mix to the flour and work between your fingers until the mix for s a sandy texture.
- Pour mix onto a large cutting board or flat surface and mix until it forms a dough ball.
- Divide mix into two and roll into logs using parchment paper.
- Place rolls in freezer for about an hour.
- Cut logs into 1/3 inch (1 cm) thick slices and place onto an ungreased baking sheet leaving a 1/2 inch (1.25 cm) gap between each cookie.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until edges turn golden brown. Place cookies onto a wire rack to cool.
- Mix the lemon juice and confectioners’ sugar until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the lemon zest. Whisk the glaze until smooth. Drizzle cookies with glaze.
Note: Dust glazed cookies with icing sugar if desired.